First, what is body-shaming? Simply put, body-shaming is mocking other people’s physical appearance such as their height, skin color, body, face, and hair. I believe that one of the most common among them is fat-shaming, especially now that almost everyone posts their pictures on social media and all sorts of people are free to comment.
Mocking in general is never OK. At the end of the day, what good would it do? If you want a person to change for the better, do not mock him/her, instead give an effective and constructive criticism.
In this short article, I want to discuss about fat-shaming in particular. I am now in my 30s and I get fat easily so I understand the feeling of being ashamed of my body. Yes, a healthy lifestyle is needed to maintain a fit and healthy physique, but there are challenges along the way. I’d like to discuss these challenges because these are real, and sadly, many people fail to see it.
I’d like to point out that being excessively fat is detrimental to health. There should be no debate about that. But there are several reasons why a person gets fat and some of these are the following:
1. They are not motivated enough in life.
2. Their busy schedule does not allow them to have enough time to exercise and prepare healthy meals. They would rather get some sleep when they have free time.
3. They have genetic conditions.
4. They are depressed.
5. They have trauma.
6. They have eating disorder (which is a mental disorder).
7. They have injuries that hinder them to be physically active.
8. They don’t have the money to maintain buying healthy foods.
This is my point. While some people deliberately eat unhealthy foods because of gluttony, others have serious problems that make them fat. Yes, gluttony is a serious problem but it’s more of a choice you make. The reasons I listed above are factors that are not entirely the person’s fault.
If you see your reasons above, the next step is to seriously think on how to overcome them. If you need to reach out to your family and friends, do it. Tell them that you need help. Do not lose hope. Yes, it will take months to get back in shape and the journey is not easy, but it will all be worth it. After all, you’ll be the one who will benefit from it. I know it’s easier said than done, but in the end the choice is ours. Let’s not waste precious time to be come healthier.
“I’m fat and I’m proud of it”
We should never be proud of being fat. It’s still a health problem especially if you’re excessively fat. Some people even promote that being fat is beautiful, but NO, it’s never beautiful because it entails a lot of problems. If you’re fat:
1. You’re more likely to have heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes.
2. It’s more difficult to move. Flexibility is lessened.
3. It’s more difficult to breathe.
4. You take up a lot of space (it’s difficult to fit in chairs, for example).
5. You easily get tired.
6. You tend to smell bad easily because of sweat.
7. It’s difficult to fit in clothes.
8. It always feels heavy.
9. You snore.
10. Let’s be honest, a fat body does not look good.
In this time and age, information is easily available in the Internet unlike the old days when you need to go to libraries just to gain knowledge. Now, we can easily access legitimate scientific research about health. We can easily know the ways on how to lose weight the right away. Moreover, there are virtual communities in various social media platforms such as Facebook and Reddit where people help each other to achieve their goals. Always remember that knowledge is at the tip of our fingertips. We just choose to ignore it.